I have been trying to engage myself in the social media realm since I became a part of the pr world. My first thought was if I have to be a part of this new dyamnic ever changing thing that I should enjoy it and have a purpose. After months of brainstorming and constant reminders from colleagues and friends about the importance of social media, I decided to start this blog and see where it takes me. My second attempt was to join and create converstaions on Twitter with poeple/companies that I am interested or couldpossibly gain something from. Twitter is the reason and motivation for this post today.
As background, my main conversations/interests on Twitter are running/fitness related, world news and pop culture and health and financial topics. I have gained very helpful insight from all these people I follow but today something really cool happened. A new guy, @badknees29 started following me which I am pretty sure he found me on this blog. Anyways, he is a financial guru and as Twitter courtesy, I thanked him for the add.
Well this cool thing happened next, he offered me financial advice. I was pretty excited to be able to ask him questions about 401K, choosing international bonds vs US bonds and gaining insight on how the new government laws is going to affect my current student loans. Now, I have the motivation to pull out all my Sallie Mae staments and Vanguard 401K booklet to start building a financial plan and saving for retirement. Well this was my way of sharing my excitement with you all and a prime example of how you can make social media work for you!
I also follow Fitness mag which really helps me with my marathon training and Mashable which has really great insight on the social media/web/pr industry.
Tell me who you follow and have a great weekend!
That is so cool that you found someone on twitter with such valuable advice! I need to learn to be more interactive on twitter.
ReplyDeleteRegarding the financial stuff... my sister bought me this book called The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous and Broke by Suze Orman for my graduation and I have found it to be SO valuable. Even if you aren't that broke it has so much information on buying your first car, home, etc. It also breaks down what you need to know about investing in your 401k and options like a Roth IRA. Definitely check it out!
Thanks so much for the book reco and comment. I am definitely going to look into that, I think I actually watched her show once or twice before.
ReplyDeleteI hope all is well!
First of all, I LOVE the picture! Such a fabulous addition to your blog. Secondly, I'm loving that you are diving head first into Twitter. It make's my little social media heart happy! :)
ReplyDeleteAs for books, another great one on fiance for 20-somethings is Get a Financial Life by Beth Kobliner. I'm working my way through it right now!